Is my session confirmed once we settle on a date?
The session is formally booked once I have received your session fee and signed contract. If another client expresses interest in your date, I will let you know and you have three business days to get the fee and contract in.
What in an Inspiration Consultation?
An Inspiration Consultation occurs between the time you book and when your session takes place. It is a series of email exchanges or telephone calls (your choice) in which we will hammer out all details, preferences, concerns, payments, etc. so that we are on the same page heading into the shoot. These details go all the way from the accessories you will wear at the shoot to the editing style you prefer. I am a very visual person, so I also create a Pinterest Board for most sessions (especially Limited Edition Mini Sessions). I will even Skype or Facetime with you to help select outfits. Based upon the information I learn, I will begin to prepare.
I ask that you do the same. On my website, there is a Wardrobe Guide listed under “Details.” It is lengthy, but will give you all possible guidance you will need.
*During this time, you will also fill out all relevant forms – available to you through my website. For Birthday sessions, you will need to fill out the Birthday Questionnaire. ALL clients – adults need to complete the Model Release and adults need to complete the Minor Release form on behalf of minors under 18 – before the session.
Do you get annoyed with a million emails during the Inspiration Consultation period?
Heavens no. The more the merrier I say! Half the battle of a photography session is settling on the right wardrobe choices/accessories so that YOU feel comfortable. Once you feel good about your decisions, we can go into the actual session with confidence. That makes a huge difference – for all of us – so fire away!
What if my husband hates getting his picture taken, or my child throws tantrums?
With children, this is going to happen. It’s actually better if you just let me try to work with them and see what happens. Oftentimes our children will sense our frustration and play upon it. So let me take the lead and we’ll hope for the best. As for the husband? Well…your face is a reflection of your emotions so how you feel is how you are going to look. If he’s uncomfortable, I can work with that. If he’s just being ornery, tell him to suck it up and play nice for an hour so you can get a lovely family portrait. Wink.
What should we wear for our session?
I offer a very comprehensive Wardrobe Guide on my website and it will also be emailed to you. I have no problem with you sending me pictures, or even Skyping to help you settle on your best choice. Pinterest also works well for generating ideas.
How long does a session last?
This depends upon the session you chose. Lifestyle & Birthday sessions are 60 minutes, Couples sessions are 60 or 90 minutes and a Senior session is two hours.
Can I bring my camera/phone/etc. to the shoot and take pictures too?
Cameras are not permitted, and electronic devices in general are discouraged. Think of our session as an opportunity to free yourself from outside influences and celebrate this moment in time with me behind the camera.
Can I bring family and friends to the session?
It’s best to limit the number of people watching the session – it can become a matter of too many cooks in the kitchen. If you would like to bring a parent or best friend for your Senior portraits or grandma to help corral the kids during a Lifestyle session, that is perfectly fine.
Do you focus on posed or candid shots?
I probably do 40% posed and 60% candid. This is what makes me more “lifestyle” rather than just a “portrait” photographer. I appreciate that there are people who are adamant about traditional posing, so I do include a fair amount of that. However, I find the best images tend to be the ones that aren’t posed.
What is this Design Consultation you said occurs at the end of our session?
I have made the move away from advocating the purchase of only digital packages. It’s a decision that has been a long time coming and something I address extensively in my “Photographs with Purpose” post. To that end, I spent months coming up with very carefully crafted Collections & A la Carte items that will showcase your images and give you the most value for your money. The Design Consultation will allow you the opportunity to explore print and product samples and finalize ideas already broached during the Inspiration Consultation. For clients that are interested in large Wall Art orders, the Design Consultation will take place in their home so that I may help you design the space and choose correct sizes.
When is payment due for my Collection or A la Carte selections?
Payment is due at the Design Consultation – typically, the day of your shoot. We will have already discussed your intent for your images during our Inspiration Consultation so you should have a pretty solid idea of what you want to go with. It is perfectly okay to change your mind after seeing the samples, which is why I incorporate this time into the end of our session. I accept either cash, check or any major credit cards (utilizing Square Register).
What happens after the session?
Provided full payment is made at your session, what follows is this:
- I began work on editing your images. This takes anywhere from 1-3 weeks depending upon time of year and my schedule. I will keep you updated on my progress often.
- About 2-3 days after your shoot (for regular sessions, Limited Edition Mini Sessions may take more time), I will post a Facebook Sneak Peek with 3-6 images from your shoot. The Sneak Peek may be shared in its entirety on your own timeline (so that the album links directly back to my business page), but you are not permitted to save images to your hard drive and repost. You are also not permitted to crop out a watermark to fit as your cover photo or profile picture. Until you purchase the digital images and rights to your images, all images are expressly the property of Brooke Schwartz Photography and any violation of this is considered a breach of copyright and is illegal.
- Also about this time, a corresponding blog post will appear on my website highlighting your session.
- Once I finish editing your images, I will post your portraits (anywhere from 25-40 images depending upon session type) in an online gallery. You will complete your order by choosing the images you want represented in your Collection or A la Carte purchase. The gallery will be open for 14 days, allowing plenty of time to view your portraits and make your selections. If you need to see your images again after that time, you may pay $30 to reopen your gallery for an additional 14 days.
- Once you have made your final decisions, I will begin processing your print/product order. If your order included digital images, those will be made available to you via Dropbox within 1-2 days. Prints/products typically take 2-3 weeks to process.
How will my items be delivered to me?
If you live within 15 minutes of me, your prints/products will be delivered at a mutually convenient time and place when ready. Alternatively, you can choose to have them shipped directly to you. Those who live more than 15 minutes from me will have their prints/products shipped. A standard $10 delivery fee will be added to every order, and will be adjusted should shipping be more.
What happens if I am unhappy with my order?
If there is any defect in the prints or products you purchase through me, and is clearly the fault of a production error, I will work to immediately rectify the problem at no cost to you. (This is actually why I have everything sent to me first, so I can ensure its perfection.) In an ideal environment (neutral temperatures, no direct sunlight, etc.), a photo print should last over 100 years. However, display in other environments can cause damage over time as can handling without proper care and those are not things I would cover.
I do not offer free or discounted re-shoots on the basis of client regret over wardrobe choice, location choice, etc. We will work extensively on all details during the Inspiration Consultation so that we come to the shoot prepared and confident with our selections.